Wednesday, 17 October 2012

The Wonder of Dogs

I watched this wonderful programme on TV called "Walking with Dogs: A Wonderland Special"  about this woman who interviewed people from various walks of life as they were walking their dogs at Hampstead Heath.  Hampstead Heath is a park in north london. It's one of my favourite places in London; I've spent many hours exploring that park.

Back to the programme, some of the people interviewed included: a couple who had lost their son and found their dog helped them with their grief; a homeless woman living in a hostel who has been separated from her partner and children whose dog gives her comfort; a young man who has been in and out of prison whose dog gives him so much love; a woman whose husband has been in hospital for a while and walking the dogs help her cope; a wealthy guy who finds he connects with people because of his 5 dogs.

Later, while I was walking through my local park, I saw this woman walking her dogs who I usually chat to. I asked her if she'd watched the documentary and she said she had and she loved it.  She also told me awhile back while she was at another park that I also know very well, she was approached by someone asking her lots of questions about her dog and her life.  She had a feeling he was doing research for that TV programme.   They ended up filming at another park and using different people. My friend said her story was probably not tragic enough to be included in the programme.  :-)

Dogs give so much unconditional love. They don't care who you are or what you have done.

The programme also reminds me of how often I've connected with people I've met in the park through their dogs.  I find people are really willing to share themselves when you take the time out to chat to them and their dogs act as a love bridge. I've also learned a lot about myself through the dogs I've met.

Thank you for a brilliant programme! Loved it!

Enocia

Related articles: Retraining My Dog - Revisited; He Loves People!; For Dog LoversUnconditional Love; Love Bridges; My Dog Self