Friday, 28 September 2012

The Gift of Insomnia

I believe every situation or experience has a blessing or gift, even the ones that appear to be annoying.

The other night I was tossing and turning and couldn't sleep.  By morning, I was feeling really grouchy. I decided to stay home and catch up on my sleep.  After lying in bed for an hour longer than usual and I still couldn't sleep, I got up, got dressed, and sat in front of the computer to do some work.

Funnily enough, my mother said she had also had difficulty going to sleep.

By early afternoon, I was falling asleep on the computer. I decided to have a nap but when I went to bed, I couldn't sleep. I just lay in bed for about an hour.

Later, before I went to bed, I wished my mother a good night's rest. She wished me the same.

"I've decided I'm not going to fight the sleep," I said. "If I can, I can.  If I can't, I can't!"

"I like your philosophy!" mum said.

I ended up sleeping right through and I only woke up around 7 am to go to the toilet; then I went back to sleep for another hour.

Thank you, insomnia, for reminding me that fighting a situation or tying to force things to happen is pointless. If it happens, it happens; if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Either way, I'm happy.

Enocia

Related articles: Relax and Let Life Happen; Counting SheepCauseless Happiness; The Sky is Not Bothered By the Passing Clouds; Give Thanks Anyway; Not All Gifts Come Nicely Wrapped; Don't Push It, Don't Force It!; Ahhh...Bliss!;  Resistance is Futile