Monday, 30 July 2012

Good But Not For Us

The other day I saw the Olympic Torch relay in my local area and I really loved the atmosphere.  For me, the torch represents love uniting all. I was really looking forward to the Olympics opening ceremony, which I watched at a friend's house.

I have to say, I couldn't connect with a lot of the performance. I felt there was way too much thinking involved and I found it confusing.  I didn't want to analyse the show or try to understand what was going on, I just wanted to feel it but it just wasn't happening for me.  My friend also shared my sentiments. 

The only part that I enjoyed was when they started announcing athletes from around the world. I admired their various uniforms and costumes and tried to spot famous athletes.  By the time all the athletes had been announced, I was way too tired and went to bed.  I didn't even watch the firework display, which I usually enjoy; but I could hear it in the distance.

When I saw my mother, I asked her if she'd enjoyed the ceremony and she said she found most of it boring.  She said the only part she enjoyed was the fireworks display at the end. 

The next day I received an email from a friend who was raving about how wonderful the ceremony was. I told her I didn't share her enthusiasm.

This morning, I met two friends I usually see walking in the park. I haven't seen them in over a month. After we exchanged hugs, they asked me if I had watched the opening ceremony. I told them how I felt about it. They also shared my feelings that there was too much going on and they couldn't get into it.  They also went to bed and missed the fireworks display but they heard it was the best part of the ceremony. I told them I'd heard the same.

"The ceremony was a good thought," I said.

"But not for us," one of my friends said.

I believe "good thought, but not for us" sums up life perfectly.

There are lots of things that are good. Just because something is good doesn't mean it is for everyone. Avocado is good but I don't like it.

When I follow my heart, I don't try to force myself to like something.  I take what feels good for me and leave what doesn't.

Enocia

Related articles: The Olympic Torch; Love Makes Life Easy; Why It's Important to Know Myself; Never Edit Who You Are; It's OK to Follow Your Heart; Love is All That Matters - Revisited